Sunday, August 23, 2009

Beograd to Sofia

Beograd to Sofia
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
8:45 PM

So Wednesday was to be my last day in the BGD as well as Marko's last full one. We headed down to the river and got lunch with Mike Cavic at one of his favorite restaurants. We had a delicious ham and cheese wrap that I'd liken to a giant hot-pocket. While the food seemed bad it was fine for him because he was at the start of taking a full two months off from swimming. It was interesting hearing stories about Mike's life since he's been living in Serbia. Perhaps the most interesting thing was that he really hasn't been living there much.

Although he recently got his own apartment it isn't complete yet, and for the majority of the time since he finished undergrad he has been on the road. While I've always thought that I'd be fine doing something that requires heavy travel (and I still think I would be while I'm young) I definitely saw that living out of suitcases and hotels wears on you. I also always think its interesting to get analysis of cities from expats because its easy to draw comparisons. Mike, like most everyone I've talked to, also doesn't understand how people live in such an expensive city on such meager salaries. Apparently apartments in nicer neighborhoods start around $150k for a tiny studio and go up from there.

After lunch Marko went to visit his grandparents and I went back to the apartment and started getting my stuff in order. Jovanna came over again and we went down to the fortress so I could buy some postcards which I hope I send out by Italy. Although it is easy to stay in touch thanks to the internet I still think postcards are a nice 'hey I was thinking of you' kind of gesture. Once we finished up, Aunt Tetka served us one last delicious dinner, and I jumped on my train to Sofia.
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment