Sunday, August 23, 2009

Aegina

Aegnia
Saturday, August 22, 2009
1:26 AM

So as I realized I had essentially seen everything there was to see in Athens the day before, so I followed conventional wisdom and headed out to an island. While I initially wanted to go to Ios, it was an eight hour boat ride which was not a reasonable amount of time considering that I needed to be careful with how much time I was spending in places as I eventually have a flight to catch. I settled on Aegnia which is one of the closest islands to Athens, and also one of the cheapest to get to.

I jumped on the ferry and had an hour and change boat ride that was really pleasant. Once I got onto the island I saw what people were talking about with the charm factor. It actually reminded me quite a bit of Catalina, which is also pretty damn charming. I walked down the boardwalk, grabbed a quick bite, and ensued the people watching. I knew it was a proper seaside town as old men dressed head to toe in white walked by with girls 20 years younger than them wearing skimpy dresses and huge heels. The entire boardwalk was packed and not much English was being spoken, which judging from what people say about the other islands, was a good thing.

Once I started getting a bit sleepy I walked away from the marina and main beach and found a nice area and set up camp. It was really pleasant to watch the lights of the city twinkling and the stars shining while listening to the sea flirt with the island, I slept very well.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. super fun to follow the trip, Marc...well done!

    (you should share this with some of your other friends.)

    ReplyDelete