Sunday, August 23, 2009

Ballin in Perestroka

Ballin in Perestroka
Monday, August 17, 2009
4:07 PM

As we had another relaxing day set we had a lavish breakfast when we woke up and then got ready to go play a little basketball at the school across the street. Before that we went into the house where Marko's Mom grew up, which was on the same property. Looking through old pictures was great as I saw one of both of Marko's parents sitting on the couch that we were sitting on looking at the album.

From there we went to shoot around and as per normal I was ice cold from the field. While I was able to dominate in Italy it definitely wasn't due to a nice jump shot. We played a best-of-3 game that I really enjoyed. A person chooses a shot, takes it 3 times, then the others have chances to do better. While it’s a really simple game I think that it is challenging and excellent if you're tired of horse or around the world. One of the more interesting things that I had noticed before, but for whatever reason took into more consideration that day, was the lack of American-style urban sprawl.

Although the city's population was under 20,000 there were still fairly large, multistory, apartment buildings. There were also what looked like industrial buildings or factories and the square that I mentioned yesterday was also pretty large, with a few cafes and tons of shops. It just seemed like far more things than a city of 20,000 would support . In the states people would definitely spread out a small town quite a bit with strip malls and tract houses (which I generally like) but I guess American small towns used to be more dense too. After relaxing a bit more and getting another good meal we headed back to Belgrade .
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment